Did you know that …
- Automatic sprinkler systems are used more than any other fixed fire protection system and over 40 million sprinklers are fitted world-wide each year.
- Sprinkler systems have been proven in use for well over 100 years. Possibly the oldest in Britain was fitted in 1812 at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane and updated form is still in use today.
- Losses from fires in buildings protected with sprinklers are estimated to be 1/10 of those in unprotected buildings.
- In buildings fully protected by sprinklers:
- 99% of fires were controlled by sprinklers alone
- 60% of fires were controlled by the spray from no more than 4 sprinklers
Source: European statistics over 10 year period
- Accidental discharge of water from all causes is 1 in 500,000 (per year of service)
- Accidental discharge of water due to manufacturing defects is 1 in 14,000,000 (per year of service)
Source: FM (USA) and LPC (UK) statistics
Information from bafsa