In many situations fire sprinklers are not a mandatory requirement in the UK. The FSA is working to change that, especially for Care Homes, High Rise and Sheltered Housing, HMOs, Schools and Warehouses.
There have been NO deaths from fire in a building fully protected by sprinklers in the UK
For more information please visit our web site at www.firesprinklers.info
- Proven success – Fire Sprinklers are by far the most efficient and effective safety devices known to Over the past 130 years they have had a better than 99% success rate in controlling fires around the world.
- Widely used – More than 70 million sprinkler heads are installed worldwide each year. The UK lags far behind the rest of the world with only 8 million sprinklers installed in 2003.
- Ultimate protection – The installation of fire sprinklers will virtually eliminate fire deaths, reduce injuries by at least 80%, reduce property damage by 90% and substantially reduce damage to the environment from fire.
- Dependable – Fire alarms and smoke detectors can only warn of a fire starting and depend on someone calling the Fire Brig Fire Sprinklers not only warn of a fire, they also act immediately to control it – even if no one is present. In fact the sprinkler system will probably have gained control of the fire long before the Fire Brigade is even notified.
- Responsive – Over 60% of fire casualties are physically or mentally disadvantaged, which prevents or slows their escape from a fire. Fire Sprinklers will at the very least control the fire, even if they do not extinguish it, and will raise the This will greatly extend the time available for escape or rescue.
- Saves lives – Every day two people die and fifty are injured in fires in the UK.75% of all fire casualties occur at home, where you are 3 times more at risk than anywhere else. Your chance of experiencing a major fire in your lifetime is just 1:5.
- Cost effective – Sprinklers are NOT expensive; normally costing around 1-2% of the cost of construction of a new building. The use of sprinklers will usually allow design freedoms as well, which can reduce construction costs and improve usability of the building.
- Reliable – Fire Sprinklers are very r Records show that the chance of finding a faulty head is about 1:16,000,000 (one in sixteen million). You have more chance of winning the Lottery!
- Work individually – Each sprinkler is individually triggered directly by the heat of a fire and initially just one head operates, which in many cases is sufficient to extinguish the fire alone. Only the sprinkler/s directly affected by the fire go off (NOT all of them), typically using around 60l/min of water each to control the fire.
- Use less water – Sprinklers use very much LESS water than the Fire Because the sprinkler system attacks the fire immediately, it is much smaller than the fire the Fire Brigade meets when it arrives some 5 – 30 minutes later. A fire sprinkler uses between 1/25th and 1/100th of the water used by EACH Fire Brigade hose – so in the event of a fire the sprinklers will actually reduce water damage.