Please note that in addition to the routines detailed below, it is also necessary for a responsible person to make regular checks to ensure the hose reels are not obstructed and free from corrosion/leaks, have clear operating instructions and are located in the designated place. The frequency of these inspections should be determined by risk/hazard assessment and/or environmental circumstances.
- All hose reels should be inspected and particular attention made to ensure there are no leaks and the drum rotates freely on its spindle.
- Run out hose fully, under pressure and check for cracks, splits, leaks or other damage.
- Carry out a flow and pressure test.
- Check the drum rotates freely on its spindle and for swinging hose reels that it swings through 180°easily.
- Inspect any nozzles and isolation valves and check they work correctly, are easy to operate and that they are left in the correct orientation.
- Check any guide is fixed securely and it works correctly.
- All hoses should be pressure tested in accordance with BS EN 671–1 and/or BS EN 671–2.