Sprinkler System Performance by the Numbers
Sprinkler system are so reliable that failures are measured at less than 0.01%?. However in the event of failure the whole system and its costs have been worthless and the results could be catastrophic with the potential loss of your business, building or more tragically life.
A review of historical sprinkler system statistics
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) publishes data summarizing sprinkler system performance on a frequent basis. From 1925 through 1969, the top five reasons for unsatisfactory sprinkler performance remain the same:
- Water shut off (35.4%)
- System not adequate for level of hazard in occupancy (13.5%)
- Inadequate water supplies (9.9%)
- Inadequate maintenance (8.4%)
- Obstruction to water distribution (8.2%)
- Partial sprinkler protection (8.1%)
- Faulty building construction (6.0%)
- System components defective or damaged (5.6 %)
- Exposure fire (1.7 %)
- System frozen (1.4%)
- Other (1.9%).